Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Finest of Fios....


I am fortunate enough to know a family of five "Fios" and they are wonderful people.  Two or three years ago they were travelling from Florida back to Texas, and while in Louisiana, one of those Fios sent me a text and asked where to get a good po-boy.

Being from Lafayette, I was quick to point them to Olde Tyme Grocery for a "shramp" po-boy.  Now, some folks back home think Olde Tyme is a little too salty, but as a true Cajun would say, "mais, they crazy."

An Olde Tyme po-boy is a taste of "home" and that is good enough for me.  I miss their "too salty shrimp" piled on lettuce, tomato and mayo, slapped together by a bunch of college kids on (a crispy-on-the-outside / cotton-candy-inside) po-boy bread from Langlinais.  And I miss that little bag of Zapp's and that cold bottle of Barq's rootbeer to wash it down.  Olde Tyme Grocery...that wrapping paper reminds me what it felt like when I was almost one of those college kids twenty years ago -- but I turned the job down because they wanted me to work on Saturday nights and I wanted to boogie with the Bluerunners at Grant Street... 

Anyway, twenty minutes after I sent my text, I got a response from the Fios that just said, "Want one?"  Hell yes I wanted one!

Fast forward three years and one of those Fios was making the trip again yesterday, and again I got a text offering to pick me up a po-boy.  Even after 6 hours in the car, it was "delishush" (and worthy of burning an unplanned "cheat meal"**) -- Thank you again Matt!

---
**A "cheat meal" is a meal that isn't on my "usual" diet plan.  I believe the science behind the paleo diet*** to be most favorable to good health, so I'm pretty strict about it -- but I'm also from South Louisiana and not fool enough to think I'm going to stay away from things like fried shrimp po-boys or red beans and rice for the rest of my life.  Life is meant to be lived to the fullest.

***The "paleo diet" is often referred to as a "caveman" diet, and is essentially (a)  lots of meat and vegetables; (b) some fruits and nuts; (c)  a rare starch; and (d)  no processed foods (i.e. - sugars and grains).  I also cook with good oils (coconut) and take a fish oil supplement.  Paleo is a lifetime/lifestyle diet, and between CrossFit and "eating clean", I lost 40 pounds in 4 months.  It works.

-------

Yesterday's WOD 
  • 50 Handstand Push Ups ("HSPU") for time
    • Handstand push ups are a relatively new skill for me, so I'm training these specifically
  • 2 hours of landscaping at a local school
    • Despite my friend Nikki's insistance that I was just doing "community service", I pushed myself and made a WOD out of it.
      • 25 yards of mulch / 8 people.
      • I shovelled 100-200 lbs. of mulch onto a tarp every 4-7 minutes, slung it over my shoulder/back (just like Santa) and carried it to where it was being spread by some other parents (40-200m round trip).
        • My fitness is functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment